Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: National Super 8mm Conference?

  1. #1
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Lightbulb

    Hi, all!

    I also am involved in another discussion group (surprise!) that deals with special effects and stop motion exclusively. Despite such a niche topic, there are enough people interested that each year a HUGE convention takes place in Las Vegas where people interested in that topic meet to watch films, look at hardware, etc. I would venture to say that less than a 10th of 1% of these people are pros and most are just enthusiasts like those of us here on Mike's forum.

    Given that there are probably more users of super 8 and regular 8mm than there are stop motion animation afficiados, it seems MORE than feasible to me that we could coordinate a once a year national 8mm convention where people could show their works, judges could do their thing and awards would be given away. Also, it would encourage others like me that have special services to get out and mix with their constituency to see not only what people want, but what kind of real interest would support more elaborate services.

    I think that last part is important. How many times have any of us heard someone say,"Super 8? You mean they still make that stuff?"

    If there were some visible sign of the number of people that were serious about super 8mm and regular 8mm, that would go a long way toward encouraging others to damn the torpedoes and move forward with long forgotten and much needed services like printing, sound stock, faster processing, etc. It might ALSO be a good thing for Kodak to see, in this uncertain time about product life expectancy.

    I envision something that might take place in the central US, so as to be equal distant from everyone. Now, here's a thought, how about having it in the same town as Dwaynes Lab?!!! Imagine being able to have a one day, in-camera short film contest that is shot on Friday, processed that night and projected on Saturday with awards given out on Sunday night? Great PR for Dwaynes and a hell of a lot of fun.

    Shee-oot, we could all stay at the Super 8 Motels!!

    I'm really not kidding about any of this. I not only think it could work, I think it would be a terrific way to re-energize 8mm.

    Open for suggestions!

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  2. #2
    Cranium
    Guest Cranium's Avatar

    Post

    Hmmm... I'd love it! Though I'd be more likely to vote for a more "travel-central" location than geographically central.
    Vegas would be great because the fares to Vegas are usually pretty cheap, from many parts of the country.
    Plus, it's Vegas!
    But I'd probably go just about anywhere...


    ------------------
    Mikel Z

  3. #3
    cameraguy
    Guest cameraguy's Avatar

    Post

    I disagree on the location. It should be either LA or NY or both or alternate between the 2 every other year. You'll get many more people in one of those locations.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    rollemfilm
    Guest rollemfilm's Avatar

    Post

    kansas city would be a great location. it also would be nice to have a used gear market place for folks who want to buy/sell/trade gear. i like the idea. lots of great music in kansas too.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rollemfilm:
    it also would be nice to have a used gear market place for folks who want to buy/sell/trade gear.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    My thoughts exactly. I can see not only dealer booths or film sales and lab services but sections for used gear, seminar sign ups, presentations, all kinds of stuff in one place. Also, I envision a really nice, large area with places for pamplets or business cards from other artists offering low cost music or effects services grouped by common geographical area. Imagine being from Waco or someplace working on super 8 produtions and finding someone that can offer effects, music or grip assistance that lived in your own area!

    Or how about this: People bring their cut films and perhaps a vendor will sound stripe it while you wait for a nominal fee! How about some demos on low cost NLE systems or brief talks about editing and effects tricks specifically related to super 8?

    I think it would great.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html



    [This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited January 13, 2002).]

  6. #6
    souper8
    Guest souper8's Avatar

    Post

    I'm in for Vegas. Cheap airfare, hotels during off season, and all you can eat buffets. New York and Los Angeles will be fine also.

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Mikko
    Guest Mikko's Avatar

    Post

    European conference in Switzerland

    ------------------

  8. #8
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chas_ucla:
    Great idea! I'm down for it...wherever the location is...Vegas is a good idea because of the air fares...but won't this be a nightmare to coordinate?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Yes.

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  9. #9
    Denny
    Guest Denny's Avatar

    Post

    I think that is great idea and, besides in the US, there should be something like this also in Europe and..., since we have people from all over the world in this forum.
    Although I haven't seen Super8 Motels in Europe... smile
    Roger, I agree with you that this would be a wright step for super8 to "grow" again. I think there are already a lot "super8-festivals" out there. So let's make a good reputation for a super8-place anywhere. That would bring the people together and let it really grow.

    ------------------
    Denny

  10. #10
    chas_ucla
    Guest chas_ucla's Avatar

    Post

    Great idea! I'm down for it...wherever the location is...Vegas is a good idea because of the air fares...but won't this be a nightmare to coordinate?

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •